Surgical Smoke Evacuation
Surgical Smoke Evacuation Systems
Smoke Shark II & Smoke Shark III - Surgical Smoke Evacuation Systems (as supplied by Surgical Holdings in the UK) are intended to evacuate and filter surgical smoke plume and aerosols created by the interface surgical tools with tissue, examples being lasers, electrosurgery systems, and ultrasonic devices.
Smoke Shark II
The Smoke Shark II Smoke Evacuation Systems have been designed with a high suction, high flow rate vacuum motor. The ultra-quiet motor is used to draw the surgical smoke from the surgical site through the vacuum tubing and into the Bovie® SF35 Filter where the surgical smoke is processed by a series of filters. A single disposable filter is used to simplify the installation and removal during filter changes. The filter is completely enclosed to protect the healthcare personnel from potential contamination during filter changes. One SF35 Filter contains four different stages within to capture the smoke plume.
- The first stage filtration is a prefilter whose function is to trap and remove gross particulate and casual fluid.
- The second stage filtration is ULPA grade (Ultra Low Penetration Air) filter whose high-tech patented (U.S. Patent #5874052) design captures particulates and micro-organisms from .1 to .2 microns at an efficiency of 99.999%.
- The third stage filtration uses the highest grade virgin activated carbon, specially designed for Bovie Medical Corporation for the removal and adsorption of odours and toxic gases produced by burning tissues. These harmful gases may constitute a health hazard to the healthcare profession - all who are subjected to prolonged exposure. The activated carbon used in the Smoke Shark II Smoke Evacuation Systems preferentially removes toxic organic gases rather than water vapour and provides optimal odour removal.
- The fourth stage filtration is an expanded foam used to trap activated carbon fines from migrating out of the filter.
The electronic controls on the face panel of the Smoke Shark II Surgical Smoke Evacuation System has been designed “user friendly” and facilitate unit set up and operation. Please refer to Section 2.0 for Operating Instructions.
Smoke Shark III
Smoke Shark III reduces biological, physical, and chemical hazards present in electrosurgical smoke plume. Surgical smoke evacuation system that is specifically intended for shorter procedures of 15 minute or less. Quiet design offers excellent performance with less noise. Uniquely designed with a compact size for wall mounting. 4-Stage ULPA filtration 99.999% efficient in trapping 0.1-0.2 micron particulates and micro-organisms.
Smoke Shark III Features:
- Compact design with quiet and effective smoke evacuation
- Reduces biological, physical and chemical hazards
present in electrosurgical smoke plume
- Minimal noise level with efficient multi-procedure 6-hour filters
- Filter life tracking technology
- Hand-operated activation for maximising filter life
- Includes SharkSkin adapter, Smart Shark remote activator, and one filter
- Excellent particulate capture
The Health Hazards of Surgical Smoke
ALSGBI recommends the use of smoke evacuation systems during any medical procedure producing surgical smoke.
Covid-19 is a highly contagious RNA virus with a size range of 0.06 to 0.14 microns. There is a developing international consensus that urgent elective surgery should recommence and the perceived risks of aerosol production in laparoscopy can be minimised with appropriate techniques
One of these recommendations is Routine use of a closed-circuit smoke evacuation / ultra-low particulate air (ULPA) filtration system. Ultra-Low Particulate Air (ULPA) filters can remove 99.99% of airborne particles with a minimum particle penetration size of 0.05 microns (Aerosol particle size <5microns). Smoke Shark II is recommended for this and is approved for use by SAGES in the USA (Source ALSGBI 2020).
Healthcare professionals are exposed to surgical smoke proven to carry viruses, CO, and other chemical and biological hazards. The Smoke Shark II minimises exposure to these toxic smoke plumes during electrosurgery, laser, and harmonic scalpel procedures.
The Extended-Life Filter (SF35) offers up to 35 hours performance reducing procedure cost by 38%(+/-) when used at the lowest setting.
The Smoke Shark II Smoke Evacuator is compatible with most electrosurgical generators. The unit operates in conjunction with the optional Bovie Remote Activation Switch (SERS2) for maximized filter life and surgical efficiency.
A light-weight, ultra-quiet and compact design allowing for simplified operation, storage, and portability.
The Smoke Shark II Smoke Evacuator includes a standard two (2) year manufacturer warranty.
There are several accessories that can be supplied with the Smoke Shark to make it suitable for all situation that may be needed, these include but not limited to: